Mohamed Elsakhawy, Ph.D
I am a researcher and an industry expert in Cloud Computing. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Western Ontario and my M.Sc in Electrical and Computer Engineering also from UWO.
I served as the Operational Lead of Compute Canada‘s Cloud National Team between 2017 and 2021. Over the years, I’ve been involved with the OpenInfra/OpenStack Project in multiple capacities, last was serving as the Vice-chair / Chair of the OpenStack User Committee between 2019 and 2020.
My current engagement in the Cloud industry focuses on large-scale multisite architecture, engineering, and networking. I am also an Adjunct Professor with UBC Electrical and Computer Engineering, where I work with CIRRUS Lab on Cloud Research.
Below you can find more details about me and my previous and current involvements.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- M.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Western Ontario, Canada,
- Bachelor’s of Science, Electrical Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt
- M.Elsakhawy and M.Bauer “SLA for Sequential Serverless Chains: A Machine Learning Approach “, International Workshop on Serverless Computing, Part of ACM/IFIP International Middleware Conference (WoSC ’21 ), Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 36–41.
- M.Elsakhawy and M.Bauer “Usage Trends Aware VM Placement in Academic Research Computing Clouds“, ” 2021 IEEE 14th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD’ 21), 2021, pp. 688-697
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “Performance Analysis of Serverless Execution Environments“, International Conference on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE ’21), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2021, pp. 1-6.
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “FaaS2F: A Framework for Defining Execution-SLA in Serverless Computing” ,IEEE Cloud Summit (CloudSummit ’20), Harrisburg, PA, USA, 2020, pp. 58-65.
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “An Investigation into the Usage-trends of Canada’s Research Computing Clouds“, IEEE International Conference on Smart Cloud (SmartCloud ’19), Tokyo, Japan, 2019, pp. 1-6.
- S. Moursi, M. Elsakhawy and H. Ghenniwa, “Agent oriented media recommender system utilizing Smart multimedia” International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design (CSCWD ’11), Laussane, Switzerland, 2011, pp. 437-444.
- Opensource in Advanced Research Computing, How Canada did it!, Stackconf.EU, June 2020
- Openstack in the Canadian ARC: A real-life use-case, Open Infrastructure Summit, Denver, 2019
- Improving network virtualization in Openstack: SRIOV and DPDK, CANHEIT, Vancouver, 2018
- DPDK: Putting Neutron in the fast lane, Open Infrastructure Summit, Vancouver, 2018
- Neutron: Where Did My Packets Go?, Openstack Summit, Boston 2017
Awards and Scholarships:
- 2nd-Place Award, UWORCS Conference, Canada
- Best Research Achievements Award, the CDS-Engineering Group, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Student Teaching Award Nominee, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Corporate N.O.T.T Award. Autodata Solutions, Canada
- Alexandria University Academic Excellence Certificates (all undergraduate years), Egypt
- Corporate Achievement Award, Mobinil (Orange) Egypt
- 1st Position Nationally in Electronics, Alexandria University Science Club Team, 2005 (Team Award)
- 3rd Position Nationally in Programming, Alexandria University Science Club Team, 2007 (Team Award)
- Founder and Co-Chair, Cloud Research SIG, Aug 2020 – Present
- Technical Computing Advisory Panelist, Hyperion Research, 2016 – Present
- Lead, SWO Openstack UG, Nov 2017 – Present
- Technical Program Committee Member, IEEE Cloud Summit, July 2021
- Chair, Openstack User Committee Feb 2020 – Aug 2020
- Vice-Chair, Openstack User Committee Aug 2019 – Feb 2020
- Track Chair, Virtual Open Infrastructure Summit, Oct 2020
- Track Chair, Open Infrastructure Summit in Shanghai, Oct 2019
- Session Chair, IEEE Smart Cloud, Tokyo, Dec. 2019
- SE2250: Software Engineering – Software Construction
- SE2203: Software Design
- SE4472: Information Security
The opinions and articles in this blog are personal opinions of my own and are neither related to, nor endorsed by, any of my current or former employers