Mohamed Elsakhawy, Ph.D
I am a researcher and an industry expert in Cloud Computing. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Western Ontario and my M.Sc in Electrical and Computer Engineering also from UWO. My areas of expertise are Cloud architecture, engineering, and networking.
I served as the Operational Lead of Compute Canada‘s Cloud National Team between 2017 and 2021. Over the years, I’ve been involved with the OpenInfra/OpenStack Project in multiple capacities, last was serving as the Vice-chair / Chair of the OpenStack User Committee between 2019 and 2020.
Below you can find a more details about me and my previous and current involvements.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- M.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Western Ontario, Canada,
- Bachelor’s of Science, Electrical Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt
- M.Elsakhawy and M.Bauer “SLA for Sequential Serverless Chains: A Machine Learning Approach “, International Workshop on Serverless Computing, Part of ACM/IFIP International Middleware Conference (WoSC ’21 ), Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 36–41.
- M.Elsakhawy and M.Bauer “Usage Trends Aware VM Placement in Academic Research Computing Clouds“, ” 2021 IEEE 14th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD’ 21), 2021, pp. 688-697
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “Performance Analysis of Serverless Execution Environments“, International Conference on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE ’21), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2021, pp. 1-6.
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “FaaS2F: A Framework for Defining Execution-SLA in Serverless Computing” ,IEEE Cloud Summit (CloudSummit ’20), Harrisburg, PA, USA, 2020, pp. 58-65.
- M. Elsakhawy and M. Bauer, “An Investigation into the Usage-trends of Canada’s Research Computing Clouds“, IEEE International Conference on Smart Cloud (SmartCloud ’19), Tokyo, Japan, 2019, pp. 1-6.
- S. Moursi, M. Elsakhawy and H. Ghenniwa, “Agent oriented media recommender system utilizing Smart multimedia” International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design (CSCWD ’11), Laussane, Switzerland, 2011, pp. 437-444.
- Opensource in Advanced Research Computing, How Canada did it!, Stackconf.EU, June 2020
- Openstack in the Canadian ARC: A real-life use-case, Open Infrastructure Summit, Denver, 2019
- Improving network virtualization in Openstack: SRIOV and DPDK, CANHEIT, Vancouver, 2018
- DPDK: Putting Neutron in the fast lane, Open Infrastructure Summit, Vancouver, 2018
- Neutron: Where Did My Packets Go?, Openstack Summit, Boston 2017
Awards and Scholarships:
- 2nd-Place Award, UWORCS Conference, Canada
- Best Research Achievements Award, the CDS-Engineering Group, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Student Teaching Award Nominee, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship, The University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Corporate N.O.T.T Award. Autodata Solutions, Canada
- Alexandria University Academic Excellence Certificates (all undergraduate years), Egypt
- Corporate Achievement Award, Mobinil (Orange) Egypt
- 1st Position Nationally in Electronics, Alexandria University Science Club Team, 2005 (Team Award)
- 3rd Position Nationally in Programming, Alexandria University Science Club Team, 2007 (Team Award)
- Founder and Co-Chair, Cloud Research SIG, Aug 2020 – Present
- Technical Computing Advisory Panelist, Hyperion Research, 2016 – Present
- Lead, SWO Openstack UG, Nov 2017 – Present
- Technical Program Committee Member, IEEE Cloud Summit, July 2021
- Chair, Openstack User Committee Feb 2020 – Aug 2020
- Vice-Chair, Openstack User Committee Aug 2019 – Feb 2020
- Track Chair, Virtual Open Infrastructure Summit, Oct 2020
- Track Chair, Open Infrastructure Summit in Shanghai, Oct 2019
- Session Chair, IEEE Smart Cloud, Tokyo, Dec. 2019
- SE2250: Software Engineering – Software Construction
- SE2203: Software Design
- SE4472: Information Security
The opinions and articles in this blog are personal opinions of my own and are neither related to, nor endorsed by, any of my current or former employers